Thursday, September 29, 2011

this is why this book was written!?

She said, “Write about me.”

I said, "No. Go away. Come back later."

She did, the next night. "Write about me."

“No,” I said. “But who are you?”

She replied, “I’m Luna.”

I remember thinking, That would make a great title for a YA novel. But I wasn’t ready to start a new book. I fended Luna off, for weeks and weeks. Finally, I just got so irritated with her waking me up at three A.M., I sniped, “What? Write what? What’s your story?”

She smiled, demurely, and said, “I’m transsexual.”

Whoa.

8 comments:

  1. This is from the link i posted right. I loved it, what did you think about it?
    ~Maddy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently this is why Julie Anne Peters wrote Luna. Don't worry, the Luna talking to her is just a vision, not a real person (that would be creepy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. demure |diˈmyoŏr|
    adjective ( -murer, -murest)
    (of a woman or her behavior) reserved, modest, and shy : a demure little wife who sits at home minding the house.
    • (of clothing) lending such an appearance
    just wondering what that word was...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's creepier that Peters had a vision of her novel character... that's either insanity at a mild point or strong dedication to fiction. Either/or, I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, but perhaps she was just trying to make the story more interesting, and the character came to her in a different, less crazy, way. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you mean? That she pretended that she envisioned Luna?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, that's not what I meant. I was thinking maybe she just thought her up some other way, maybe it was even kind of like that but less extreme, and then wrote the article to be interesting or short enough or something. Maybe she envisioned Luna in that exact way, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still a bit confused here but it's fine.

    ReplyDelete