Saturday, October 1, 2011

Luna Reviews

Here are some reviews on the book, I found.

Reviews

Summary - Based on 408 reviews

1

2

3 stars

4 stars

5 stars

What people are saying

writing
"Amazing writing--catching the nuances, very well done."
ending
"The ending of the book seems realistic."
plotline
"Last LUNA has the best plot ever and I rated a 5 star!"
1. Groundbreaking book about a transgender teen. Peters did her research when writing this book, and she tried to reflect as accurately as possible the transition process experienced by many transsexual teens. Good read. Heart-wrenching at times, but a good read.
2. (This was a really long review so here is the ending) FINALLY --- My overall impression of this book was that she has a very shallow understanding of what being trans is all about. It's not about cross-dressing! The cross-dressing is incidental! Maybe it's just that I'm hypersensitive about this stuff or maybe it's the author's fault for not leading me through with understandable descriptions of Luna herself (or Peter's tendency to refer to Luna as "he" and continually highlight her maleness --- a mega gaffe) but I could not bring myself to buy this story at all. The queer experience is a many faceted thing, but this book just wasn't that believable. It was like an after-school special without the heartwarming.

End Result?

I. Hate. This. Book.

3.holy wow! this book was amazing! get ready for my gushing, because nothing less will do. Luna confronts head on the issues of growing up as a transgender teen, through the eyes of a sibling. with pitch-perfect pacing and writing, this is a book that will stay with me for a very long time.
i would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. it was excellent.

4.I really wish I could have nicer things to say about the novel, but...The melodrama was so far over the top and so relentless that the novel loses all credibility. I might have even forgiven that if the prose were better, but the style is not very good, and the pacing is off. I was rooting for Luna the whole time, though it wasn't just to escape that over-the-top family, but the novel itself.

There are a lot more reviews if you want to reed them and I got all of these reviews from http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=luna+by+julie+anne+peters&sqi=2&cid=15617407378678405300&
os=reviews
~Maddy B

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Really, really thoughtful post! Looks like it's mixed feelings about this book for people (these are other people's reviews, right?). I like it, and frankly, I disagree with review 2. I think Peters captures what being trans is all about nicely. The way she switches from writing the feelings of Liam, a TG boy, and Regan, a straight, happy with her gender girl was sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was good, too the way she wrote it, but we don't have firsthand experience, so we might not be the best judge. It sounded like the person who wrote that review might have some experience with that, like maybe they're trans, or know someone who is. That was just a thought I had. It's also possible that that's just their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just their opinion, equally as decent as ours. But yes, they could be speaking from a personal experience.

    ReplyDelete